life as understood

by jeff carr, master of the arts, -------------------------------------------------------------------------- presumably from a couch

12/06/2009

news

courtesy of Jeff |

This is longest blog drought in some time now, but that's not without good reason. By the way, I'm resolved to begin each post with a reference to the fact that it's been a while as a punishment to myself for letting it be a while, lest you poo-poo my lack of variation.

Here's the thing. Sarah, my wife, is knocked up. I know, I know, there are probably better ways to say that, but chances are, most caring readers know by now anyway. Sarah posted it on her blog quite some time ago. If this comes as a shock to you, it's because I'm horrible at spreading big news. There are a number of people quite close to me who surely remain in the dark, including pretty much everyone from high school. Well, now you know.

This miraculous development in our lives came as a shock to us as well, actually. I know that's the question everyone wants to ask, especially after they hear me too-adamantly proclaim that "no, we're waiting a while." Well, we were, but Carr Jr. evidently didn't get the memo. But I tell you what--we're excited. It's kind of like when you forget to invite someone to your birthday party, but then they show up anyway and everyone has a good time. It's a little awkward at first, but that's mostly my fault for not inviting him (or her).

The due date is June 8th, so after Sarah graduates, but before we take off for grad school. This means we're just at the end of the first trimester. She's been sick pretty much 24/7 for the last six weeks, and that is hopefully beginning to subside. It's all been fairly surreal so far, because the two of us have just been spending each waking moment trying to keep her from honking. She's also taking 18 credits and working more than 20 hours per week. She's quite the trooper. Needless to say, we probably haven't had ample time to really take it all in. But what we have processed so far is that this is going to be quite the special experience for the next few decades or so. Possibly eternity.

5 responses:

Scott Ficklin said...

congrats on the creation of scott mathew carr.

Chess said...

You sure have a way with words! ;) Congratulations! It's wonderful.

Rob and Vienna said...

Hooray for Dr. Awesome, which actually isn't a very good name for a baby, so I hope you guys come up with a better one once the little thing is here. And all the kids who came uninvited to my birthdays were jerks, so I hope he or she is more agreeable.

Emily Jones said...

Congratulations! I guess I fit into that category of "high school friends" cause I had no idea. I'm very excited for you. Being a parent is great. I was sick the first trimester so I can sympathize with your wife. IT GETS BETTER!

Also, I need to tell you. You are a fabulous writer. I've known you since, what... 9th grade? And I never knew you could write the way you do. I guess that's one reason we need blogs. Hidden talents popping up all over the place!

Anyway, congrats!

Danger Dave said...

Congrats Jeff! That's awesome! Just remember, David has such a nice ring to it! Also Davina. Ok, true, slightly less so. But you'll figure something out.

Best wishes on Operation Anti-Honk!

Subscribe