life as understood

by jeff carr, master of the arts, -------------------------------------------------------------------------- presumably from a couch

8/06/2010

thou mayest

courtesy of Jeff |

"In uncertainty I am certain that underneath their topmost layers of frailty men want to be good and want to be loved." -John Steinbeck, from East of Eden


I've never had a favorite book before. As both an English major and one who enjoys literary references in everyday conversation a little too much, I've been asked that question a lot: what's my favorite book. The trouble with me is that I like almost everything I read, thanks to a habit of being quite discerning. There are very few risky choices in my queue.

I could go on, but nobody wants to hear my thoughts on literature. Besides, my thoughts, despite having received a fine formal education in the subject, are rarely based on much. I still can't describe what I love about O'Connor or Faulkner, or now, Steinbeck, even after all the scholarly articles. I just do.

It's not Don Quixote or Ulysses or even Grapes of Wrath, according to most critics. All I know is that I feel more about this novel than any book I've ever read. I finished it last night at 1:00, and spent the better part of the next hour shaking with praise as I read and re-read passages to myself. It's the book I'd want to write, if I was of Nobel caliber and if it hadn't been done already. It's beautiful, simple, and clear. Steinbeck said "I think everything else I have written has been, in a sense, practice for this." And I find myself now in awe and envy over a career so well spent.

Product endorsements, even book reviews, aren't usually my thing around here, and I won't tell everyone to read it. It may not do for others what it did, and may yet do, for me. That's how literature works. But I'm proud to join fellow book people who have long claimed profound experiences with certain novels. Maybe not all of them are full of it.

2 responses:

Unknown said...

That is a good book. Definitely makes you think.

Karlie Ann Ady said...

I totally agree, although I think I know why I like it. I love his voice, how it's so thought provoking but so simple in it's nature. The story is awesome too- a million lessons to learn that all add up to one big overall lesson. And the greatest part? Three fourths of the way through the book I thought the real question was not i"did you kill your brother?" but, "Do you love your bother enough to kill him?"...and then it wasn't that at all! Ah! It is such a journey and seriously the epitome of the "American Voice" for me.

Subscribe