life as understood

by jeff carr, master of the arts, -------------------------------------------------------------------------- presumably from a couch

9/27/2010

the revision process

courtesy of Jeff |

This post isn't necessarily about writing.

Stanford University is a stunningly grand place. I'll give you a second to look up photos of campus, which won't do it justice. The colonnades that surround each building on the main quad, for example, could never be captured in anything less than mural form. The corridors stretch seemingly for miles, remarkably unpeopled, enveloping a walker in a space that deftly reverberates with quality and tradition, even as the California sun sends in waves of warm vitality. The physical plant makes me want to be a better student now and a better citizen in the future.

It's a good thing, too, because some of the coursework so far has done just the opposite. It's not Stanford's fault. In fact, much of what has exasperated me thus far have been direct products of older and colder schools farther east, where the academy was born. A week and a day into graduate school, I'm starting to completely reconsider my one-time aspirations to become a professor.

This is big. A few weeks ago around a bonfire back in Utah, Sarah and I sat with two other young couples, friends of ours, answering questions about our spouses. It was a sort of Newlywed Game without points or explicit consequences. The question was posed: "What is your spouse's #1 interest, in one word?" Sarah looked at me, and didn't even hesitate before saying "academia." I took minor issue with that characterization, suggesting that "universities" or "college" might more appropriately engulf the athletic, administrative, and image aspects which interest me as well. Plus, Sarah is rightfully cynical about much that spews forth from the academy's highest windows. The point remains, though, that despite my admitted lack of career direction, academia has long been my default, so to speak. It has always made sense for me.

The cause of the university is something worth believing in--don't get me wrong--but over the past week and a day, I've been reminded of the limitations of certain high-minded academic pursuits. In fact, couple of my classes have already presented me with lectures and readings that seem to alienate intentionally. One professor, who just received his PhD last year from Oxford, presented everything in such a pedantic and arrogant manner that I ended up dropping his class and enrolling instead in another subject that hardly interests me at all. The most frustrating (and possibly appropriate) part is that the really alienating lectures, books, and journal articles are invariably about things that matter the very least. Some things in history, anthropology, and literature matter--in my opinion, the vast majority of things. Just not everyone focuses on those.

I, for one, cannot fault a person who wishes to spend his or her career ensconsed in the machinations of one little-known literary critic or in the semantics of how we should define a specific subculture. Critical thinking is good. But I suppose if I'm learning anything in grad school thus far it's that I want to use this critical thinking, this knowledge for accomplishing something real--for creating something real--in whatever sphere that may be.

In search of a much-needed break, we took a day trip to Monterey and Salinas on Saturday, where almost all of John Steinbeck's novels are set. We also toured the home where he was born, grew up, and wrote The Red Pony and Tortilla Flat. Next came the National Steinbeck Center, an impressive museum, especially considering that it's dedicated to the life and works of one brilliant, but by all accounts normal, man. In stark contrast to my feelings for my coursework, I was nearly brought to tears several times wandering through the exhibition hall, gaping at the beautiful stories that have touched so many lives, including my own. Especially striking was a quote from the writer which I had read before, explaining his motive behind East of Eden, the best book I've ever read:

"I am choosing to write this book to my sons. They are little boys now and they will never know what they came from through me, unless I tell them."

That is a worthy cause.

Whatever it is I end up doing, I hereby vow to create (or at least attempt), and create (or at least attempt) with purpose. Getting paid for that can be tricky, but if a position opens up for Nobel Prize-winning writer, let me know. Meanwhile, I may be on the hunt for an alternate future.

3 responses:

Karlie Ann Ady said...

Hooray for East of Eden- I knew you guys would LOVE it! Because it's so freakin fantastic. I loved this post Ry and I can totally relate. Must professors really be so concerned with subjective nonsense? And grading procedures for that matter!?! Anyway, I have some writing I would like some input on. I will ask you to tread carefully though because without all of your "scholarly knowledge" of the written word I have only my own experiences and emotions to draw from. To begin check out this blog post (mostly for entertainment value...). http://karlieady.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-dual-reality.html
It was a short narritive that I think you can relate to (and everyone who read it thought I was crazy I'm sure!) I'll email you and Sarah the real stuff soon. We miss being a "couple" couple. Maybe we can do something to remedy that!
The Adys

Vienna said...

This post describes my feelings over the past couple of years very well. I envied you a lot for your current academic adventure, (and part of me still envies) but I don't envy you that frustration, which I can assume is only worse in grad school. I think that I'm like you in that I just want to do and think and create things that are worthwhile, without dealing with hierarchy and the politics and general snootiness of it all. But it's the world we live in, as they say. Good luck. If you figure out how to cope, let me know the secret.

P.S. Jealous of your Steinbeck pilgrimage.

P.P.S. We really miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

This is Rob. A job just opened up at Robler's Knob making signposts. Think about it.

Subscribe