life as understood

by jeff carr, master of the arts, -------------------------------------------------------------------------- presumably from a couch

12/11/2010

talking, but with revision

courtesy of Jeff |

By now, you must have noticed it. Of course you have. This blog, you've said, doesn't have a theme, a brand, an essence. It's alternately witty and sappy, trivial and overblown, and pretty much every entry is too long. If you hadn't noticed it, don't feel bad. I noticed it a long time ago, but I never did anything about it. That's probably worse.

Why is it that we blog, again? Remind me. For me, maybe my writing voice is the voice I wish was my speaking voice. Maybe it's because I no longer keep a journal. Maybe I just want to be heard. But some of the world's most annoying people are those who just want to be heard. Yes, it's not the most ignoble of desires, but it spawns some bad stuff. Either way, there are something like 13 million blogs out there (made it up), so no one's really getting heard anyway.

I remember remarking to my friend Blaine once in an Indian restaurant in a gas station that I thought that writing, for me, represented the most likely opportunity for me to make a real "mark on the world" or something like that. I'm pretty sure I still believe that, but I don't know if I care anymore. Writing for me, I think, represents the thing that makes me feel the best, the most productive. That's what it is. And when someone might stumble in the door and read it on accident, it forces some degree of accountability.

This next three weeks might represent the longest vacation I'll have until I retire, assuming I find a job someday. So here's this: I'm going to do my best to write here at least two or three times a week until winter quarter starts and we'll see what comes out of it. Maybe I'll figure out why it is I do this, and what form future postings might take. It might suck for a bit (see "Searching for Teen Wolf" or this entry), but I have hope for a brighter future.

4 responses:

Emily Jones said...

I'm glad you write on the blog so keep writing. Blogs are a great way to stay caught up on what's going on in old friends lives. (That's why I read Sarah's.) And your blog is just very interested. It's a side of you I never really knew. Keep it up!

Noel said...

Oh how I miss that Indian restaurant in a gas station. We went to one here and it was just gross. That's not why I'm commenting though. I look forward to your more frequent posts in the coming weeks. If anything it will give me something to look forward to while I'm visiting my in-laws over Christmas. Don't tell them I said that.

Audrey said...

That's nice that you're trying to find a theme. I gave up on that and now the Merket blog is just a conglomeration of purposes. You could be right about writing being an opportunity to leave your mark. I think it also helps us makes sense of our lives and when it's read by others it has the potential to start a conversation. If you're lucky, it will be a meaningful one.

Jeff said...

Good to have your support, all. And I do hope it'll be meaningful in some way.

PS- The Merket blog is one of the best and most-well written blogs on the internet today, so whatever you're doing is working.

Subscribe