life as understood

by jeff carr, master of the arts, -------------------------------------------------------------------------- presumably from a couch

5/10/2009

the graduate

courtesy of Jeff |

So, it's over. I graduated last Saturday in a nice ceremony with a boutonniere and a senator. On the same day, I turned in my last paper, a perpetually-unfinished personal essay about a number of things I learned here at the university. It's tentatively entitled "Wartime," and can now be found, at least in part, on the collected works blog. A couple of hours after graduation, we took off for the coast. The day after graduation, Sarah and I celebrated our first anniversary, and a few days later, I turned 24.

We returned home to Logan last night, and nearly immediately, I found I had nothing to do. The feeling persists today. I can't recall a single time when I've ever had literally nothing to do. Ever. By the way, the task of not taking myself too seriously is becoming progressively easier.

Needless to say, I'm not sure what to do with this freedom. Over the past few days, I read The Sound and the Fury as well as a bunch of letters and criticism surrounding it. (If I could, I'd just read all summer long.) I anticipate being a far better writer and student of literature now that I don't have school to worry about. If I play this right, I could conceivably become smarter. As far as procuring an income, however, I'll let you know when I figure something out. Bah! Money.

5 responses:

Sarah said...

Thank you for adding "bah" to you wonderful work. Don't worry about money, I'll lend you some.

CashewElliott/John said...

^looks like a loan shark, so careful. Also, try to comment on my blog because I think my comment apparatus is broked. Also, how does one spell apparatus? It makes me think of asparagus.

Jeff said...

Yeah, your comment thing is dead. Perhaps it wasn't the template at all. Did you check in the settings? When I was shopping around for templates a couple weeks ago, different ones would alter settings in different ways. I had to go back and alter certain settings even after I switched, just to keep everything in line. Does that make sense? Anyway, I bet you can find a good one that doesn't mess things up. Also, good call on the asparagus. Delicious. And you spelled it right.

CashewElliott/John said...

Fixed! I had to HTML operate. Now I can use that on my freelance copy writer resume. "HTML debugging."

Marcus Hazelberg said...

Wow...you're married and you graduated at a decent age? that's impressive. Most people who get married young fuck up unless they have wealthy parents who pay everything their way and they don't end up moving in together with loads of debt and your woman has joint credit accounts with you and doesn't know how to manage money. But then again I'm bitter and can't imagine getting married before 30.

Subscribe