life as understood

by jeff carr, master of the arts, -------------------------------------------------------------------------- presumably from a couch

5/15/2009

tales from the real world

courtesy of Jeff |

Over the past five days or so, I've applied for about a dozen writing jobs online, many of them fake. Craigslist, the too-obvious source of many of the postings, says "watch out for scams" and offers a few tips for keeping safe. The primary one is to beware any sort of work-from-home deals. Too bad I'm a writer.

Some of the jobs have been excellently legitimate, however, and I'm excited to hear back from them. I've also applied to a number of online postings from different sites, and a few local administrative assistant positions as well.

High-voiced boy: "Doesn't that mean secretary?"

Me: "Heh heh heh. Now where did you learn words like that?"

I figure I'll move on to more desperate attempts like restaurant positions once all of these fall through, if in fact such is the case. Not that I frown upon serving at Chili's, as in fact I've served before and very much enjoyed it. Besides, here in Logan, that's about the best money you can make. No, it's not that. It's that at this point nearly two weeks after graduation, I'm still clinging to the hope that having a degree will be worth something. Not that I went to school to become a receptionist, but at least some of my skills can be utilized there, and wearing professional garb would make me feel better about the time and money spent on my degree.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying my reading/putzing around time, the likes of which I've never had. I need to start studying Russian an hour a day or so and get back to my writing and start submitting things to journals, contests, etc., but all in good time. For now, I think I'll turn on an informative podcast or TED lecture and bust out the Wii. Life is good.

2 responses:

Unknown said...

I just read your braided essay (good read) and I think you should work wii playing into the end of your essay . . . or you could spearhead a campaign to save the English department. Either way.

CashewElliott/John said...

Good luck with restaurant jobs. I drive 74 miles to work in a restaurant. I think every place in town has my resume. Maybe I should give them a new and updated one:

Older, and more unemployed. I'll work for 1.13 per hour.

Subscribe