life as understood

by jeff carr, master of the arts, -------------------------------------------------------------------------- presumably from a couch

6/05/2009

the graduate with a job (an upset victory)

courtesy of Jeff |

Watching professional tennis is difficult for me, but not for the same reason as most. I love every minute of the sport itself. It's difficult for me to watch simply because, in a freak statistical anomaly, whatever player I'm cheering for in any given match ends up winning only about 15% of the time.

It's ridiculous. Some sort of weird combination of Murphy's law and my propensity to cheer for underdogs. Either way, I was beginning to draft this in my head while watching the fifth set of Robin Soderling vs. Fernando Gonzalez in the French Open semifinal just now. I was cheering for the Swede, largely due to his Cinderella dethroning of Nadal in the fourth round. (Anytime Federer or Nadal lose, the world grows a little bit lighter.) Anyway, Soderling won the first two sets, lost the third and fourth, and of course called the trainer over because he was developing blisters. Quite often when a player I support is winning, sudden injuries are the "diabolus ex machina" that hose me (and them) in the end.

But today, my guy won. He came back from being down 4-1 in the fifth and took five straight games to advance to the final. I don't even care about Soderling himself that much, and he'll face Federer in the final, which means the fun will likely be short-lived, but today, he won, and he'll be better for it.

Once in a while, I win too.

Frequent readers of this blog will note the recent trend, beginning a month ago, of posts related to my English degree and subsequent lack of employment. Well, my friends, I'm elated to report that I now have a job. The Office of Public Relations here at the university is paying me to write. And what's more, they're paying me more than double what I was paid at my previous job in the English Department. In fact, they're paying me more than I've ever dreamed of being paid while living in the state of Utah, and to do something I love.

I haven't even really started yet, and I'm teeming with excitement. Who knew you could actually make money through writing? Most of the English faculty sure told me I wouldn't be able to, at least not self-respectingly. I've always believed as they've lectured, that creative writing and a steady income are, and probably should be, mutually exclusive. But it seems that is not always the case. This particular job of mine is temporary, far from a career or a hindrance on grad school, but it's certainly opening doors to future jobs and possible careers in similar fields.

So, this isn't the most well-crafted or thoughtful or tightly-written prose of mine, but it is born out of sheer happiness, and that seems like a good enough reason to write. I don't think I've ever really been proud of a job before--at least not like this--and I thought I should share it. This is, after all, essentially a personal blog, and I can write about what I want. And I write: Study what you love. My degree of glory is now paying off in more ways than one.

8 responses:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear it. Good money and enjoyable employment seems to be a rare combination . . . or maybe that's just because I want to be a school teacher.

Chess said...

Oh wow! Congratulations! That's great to hear.

Yvette Kelly said...

Congratulations on the new job!That's good news hey.

Rob and Vienna said...

Man. I'm really tempted to fall back on my achilles heel of bitterness and be really bitter towards you. But since you're such a swell guy, I think I'll just be good-naturedly jealous. Well done!

Jeff said...

Thanks all.

CashewElliott/John said...

Damn. Now I suddenly feel as though I have not applied for enough jobs. I have bundled up all the collective rejections of people like you and everyone else to tell myself that, for all intents and purposes, I've applied to every possible place in the valley and been rejected (since my credentials are less than yours and others). Thanks a lot. Seriously. But also, just as seriously, congratulations, and what the hell?

CashewElliott/John said...

i.e. how did you just get a well paying job writing for the university? Did someone read your essay about war in R.B. West, slaughtered lecturers, and decide to shut you up?

Jeff said...

No, seriously, I got lucky. Remember Tim Vitale, the PR guy I got to speak to our capstone class? I wrote him and asked if he knew of any writing-type employment in the valley, and he responded and said he'd hire me immediately. There are quite a few projects they've been wanting to get done for a while, but never had the staff to do it, evidently.

So basically, it was "who I know" that got this job, though he did say it was because of my writing (specifically the Utah State Magazine article) that he was able to hire me without much deliberation.

Incidentally, no one in the English Dept. ever talks about PR, but it turns out you can make a lot of money for writing that way. Also, the fact that it's a univeristy professional job, as opposed to a student job, accounts for the better pay.

Subscribe